Thursday, September 23, 2010

Margaret Sanger

Have you ever heard of Margaret Sanger? Me neither until a few weeks ago. She is one crazy lady. She basically is responsible for the discovery and legalization of contraceptives and birth control. Her first endeavor was just basic contraceptives like the female condom/diaphragm. She went to jail over 8 times for distributing contraceptives and even just talking about them in public. My favorite quote from her is(talking about the laws prohibiting birth controls):
"I bumped up against this very, very arrogant, old fashioned, stupid law,
which had to be changed, but it was going to take a long
time to change it. And I decided the best way to
change it was to break it."

Aw yeah! You go girl! Haha...but really - she is one of my heros. Not just for what she did - which was to make birth control possible and bring forth the single most important factor for women's liberation and equality in the world - but for her attitude and her determination to do what she believed. Even when it seemed like the whole world was against her, and especially when her church was saying that she was going to burn in hell for her actions, she didn't give up. She's an inspiration to me, and I love her feisty attitude.

Here's a video I found of an awesome interview with her. It's 30 minutes long, but it's worth watching:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1118049676798642567#

P.S. The ridiculous Phillip Morris ads in this interview could be a whole other blog post, thanks to my excellent substance abuse class

No comments: